There are three verses in the quran which carry a great argument against modern media.
We dont rule that all media is bad, media has its great role as information dispenser and if used with the right attitude it can lead to great good. Sadly this is not the case.
Here are the following three verses from Surah Hujuraat
6. O you who believe! If a rebellious evil person comes to you with a news, verify it, lest you harm people in ignorance, and afterwards you become regretful to what you have done.
11. O you who believe! Let not a group scoff at another group, it may be that the latter are better than the former; nor let (some) women scoff at other women, it may be that the latter are better than the former, nor defame one another, nor insult one another by nicknames. How bad is it, to insult one's brother after having Faith [i.e. to call your Muslim brother (a faithful believer) as: "O sinner", or "O wicked", etc.]. And whosoever does not repent, then such are indeed Zalimun (wrong-doers, etc.).
12. O you who believe! Avoid much suspicions, indeed some suspicions are sins. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? You would hate it (so hate backbiting) . And fear Allah. Verily, Allah is the One Who accepts repentance, Most Merciful.
There basic rules
1. Research your facts carefully before attacking someone
2. Do not jest and make fun of people and call them by bad names
3. Do not be suspicious of people and do not back bite
These rules are for everyone but I thought they were well placed on media in the modern world.
But every man should contemplate on these verses.
May Allah give us the strength to walk on the right path.